Saturday 25 January 2014

What would Joseph do?


My public life as a municipal councillor has been the focus of a number of front page stories over the last few months. I'll soon be posting the conclusion to the application for judicial review I made in October 2013. 

This month I took my own (short) walk in the snow... 

My husband was at an appointment nearby and I wanted to visit Joseph Howe's gravesite, a place I have found to be an inspiration. I took this photo there while my Jack Russell, Buffy, chased several urban squirrels. She was clearly having her own moment.

Even living a small municipal public life means that all you do is subject to opinion. It can be daunting to think that others could think much less of you, whether rightly or wrongly, based on difficult choices made along the way. 

To keep on the comfortable side of things it’s easier to “go along to get along.”

Trading favour for favour sounds O.K., especially for those in a rush to get what they want to do done. 

But this means of forward motion can lead to a spot where the real merits of one thing versus another is barely discernible.  Eventually, things are decided based on who owes who for what. It can become an ethical quagmire. So… I've found a question well worth asking as I face decisions as a politician:

“What would Joseph do?”

Joseph Howe, champion of free speech and a central character in the formation of the first responsible government in Canada, is quoted as saying: 

“… When I sit down in solitude to the labours of my profession, the only questions I ask myself are: What is right? What is just? What is for the public good?”

What would happen if every elected representative held themselves to Howe's standard?

Debate would be electrified. Information would be examined closely in search of what is right. Decisions would be made in front of public scrutiny---trusting that would help us see more clearly what is good and what is not.

We won’t always get it right.  But I believe excellence in every decision can be guided by the historical quote noted here. "What is right? What is just? What is for the public good?”

Joseph Howe (December 13, 1804 – June 1, 1873), Nova Scotia’s premier journalist, politician, and public servant. Still present.

No comments:

Post a Comment