Thursday 31 January 2013

Nature-Deficit Disorder

I've just returned from the Western Nova Scotia Recreation Summit held at the Annapolis Basin Conference Centre, Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. 

I attended with Councillor Hirtle, District 4.  We will be requesting time at Council of the Whole to provide a report to council.  But in the meantime I wanted to share with you the phrase that I am most likely to remember from this conference: “Nature-Deficit Disorder”.





It’s from the book: “Last Child in the Woods.” 

The authour of this book Richard Louv links a lack of outdoor play and access to nature to… “some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as rises in obesity, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and depression.”

I've taken a quick on-line look at this book.  Reviews are strong. 

It matches research with practical tips to get us and our kids back to the great outdoors. 

I'll leave you to check out more about this --- if it intrigues you as much as it does me.  Perhaps Louv is right in his belief that: “The more high-tech we become, the more nature we need.”  He can be found at: www.richardlouv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment