Thursday 13 September 2012

Beautiful… Bountiful… Creative District 3


Today I was out and about in District 3.  My father and mother-in-law were in tow as they are here (from Riverview, NB) for a family wedding that will happen on Saturday.  They used to live in District 3.  Dad (Watson Cudmore) used to run the Co-op Feed Mill in New Minas.  He now has Alzheimer’s and doesn’t drive any more.  Mum (Shirley Cudmore) just doesn’t like to drive.  Being a passenger is what she is used to.  So they were happy to be chauffeured around while I began to put my campaign in order and visit some District 3 homes. 

First stop…  Shop for campaign supplies… Second stop… Pickup more business cards from printer.  Third stop…Twoonies and Loonies (Mum had forgot her rollers). Third stop… quick trip to the hospital to visit Dr. Charlie Brown (he’s had surgery, is looking great and is going home tomorrow).  

Mum, Dad and I then drove polling district 3A, B and C.  On McKittrick Avenue I visited a very interesting and yet to be inhabited home!

 

Whoever is building this is building with careful attention to detail and with a loving touch.  I wish the owners had been around.  I would have loved to find out more about this unusual home.  And, of course, I would have loved to ask the builders to vote for me, if they are residents of District 3. 

By 4:30 Mum and Dad were back at our place and I was meeting with a key supporter of my campaign in Steam Mill.  “E-day minus 37” (election-speak for 37 days left for my team to campaign before you get to vote in this municipal election) still had one key component left to go.  

From 7 to 9:30 I joined about 25 people to watch a showing of the “Salmon Wars” at the Fundy View Community Hall in Halls Harbour.  Narrated by Nova Scotia’s own Silver Donald Cameron it tells the story of how salmon are being “factory farmed” in our oceans at great cost to the lobster fishery and wild salmon. 

What did Salmon Wars show?  That independent science can be trumped by the cards played by mega-business.  That elected representatives say one thing before they are elected and do something entirely different once they are in office.  If elected I hope any disappointments for those who elected me will be minor, especially in regard to preserving our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment